Pilot School opened in the fall of 1923. The new brick building consisted of eight classrooms, an office and an auditorium.
In the early 1930s, the county added eight classrooms and the people of the community cut timber and built a gymnasium. Next, a cafeteria and one classroom were added.
In 1951, a new high school building was erected, and in 1958, a new and more modern cafeteria was built.
The last senior class graduated from Pilot High School in the spring of 1961. Grades nine through twelve of Fair Grove and Pilot Schools then merged to form East Davidson High School.
In 1975, the most recent reorganization took place with the uniting of seventh and eighth grades of Fair Grove and Pilot Schools, forming the E. Lawson Brown Junior High School.